December 01, 2017

Baron Colossal Schnoz

Baron Colossal Schnoz

Baron Colossal Schnoz

Todays post is a study on caricature exaggeration, namely a big nose. I wasn't sure what to call this one so I came up with Baron Colossal Schnoz which I thought was original. By chance, I decided to Google search the term and it led me to the Wikipedia page of American singer, pianist, comedian, and actor Jimmy Durante who was famous for his big nose among many other things, so I guess it was appropriate. I started off with this British figure who had an arrogant look about him and wanted to push the exaggeration of the face. My original intent for this piece was to exaggerate the nose to an extent that it would make up 50% of the mass of the entire head. I fell short of my goal but I think I hit a good 30% of the mass of the head. This is no small feat. I do know a caricature artist who came pretty darn close in a caricature of Fidel Castro. This great artist is Sebastián Cast and is incredibly talented. You need to check out the amazing work from this young artist. I'll add his Castro image at the end of this post. As I was saying about the exaggeration, I was going for several things here. The exaggeration of the face with the huge nose, the color scheme which is something I've been working on lately as well as the arrogant nature of the subject. I hope I got close in at least one of those areas. 

Below is a brilliant caricature of Fidel Castro by the great Sebastián Cast. Click on the image to see a recent artist feature I did on Cast after I received the painted portrait of me. What an honor to be in his portfolio.


Fidel Castro by Sebastián Cast
Fidel Castro by Sebastián Cast




I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!